Last spring Bob Shea visited my school. It was awesome. If you’d like to see just how awesome it was you can click on the image below to see some more pictures from his visit.
I’m very excited to have Bob on my site today to talk about I Will Chomp You! I hope you enjoy the interview.
1. Can you tell us a little bit about I Will Chomp you?
Don’t read it on an empty stomach.
2. What is your favorite thing about being an illustrator?
My favorite thing about being an illustrator is making things up out of my head. Things like math have a right answer and a wrong answer, illustration can have many different answers.
3. What’s the hardest thing about being an illustrator?
Sometimes I go to the deli pretty hungry and say, “Gimme the biggest sandwich you got!” then the deli person gives me a warning that it’s too much food.
“Not for a hungry illustrator!” I scoff.
Then I force the behemoth down in front of them to prove I’m brave.
So I guess, “trying not to throw up” later that afternoon is the hardest part of any illustration project.
4. If you could spend one day inside the world of any book which book would you pick?
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The candy room inspired a big cake illustration in I WILL CHOMP YOU!
5. What advice do you have for the young illustrators in my classroom?
Look at people’s drawings you like.
Look at more things.
Then draw some more.