This week’s book mail brings new reads from Katherine Applegate, Kate DiCamillo, Lauren Castillo and many more. I’m so excited to dig in and check these books out. Hoping to find some great books to share with my fifth graders.
Check out my complete kid lit book unboxing video below.
Check out previous Book Mail videos in the playlist below. I’ll continue to update the playlist when I make new videos.
I’ve been trying to do more livestream interviews with authors. You can check out the complete play list below.
I feel very lucky to receive review copies of books written for kids. It is often very exciting to get early looks at books written by some of my students’ favorite authors. I feel a little behind opening up my book mail, so I thought I might turn on my camera and open the book packages on camera. It was a lot of fun, and it made the process seem less lonely. It seems like most things seem lonely these days. If you are interested in me rambling on for twenty minutes about a bunch of books written for kids, please check out the video below.
Celebrating World Read Aloud Day is one of my favorite things to do in my classroom. You can learn more about WRAD by clicking here. Below you will find a video, where I share 5 books that I think would make awesome read alouds for World Read Aloud Day.
Watercress is a special picture book. I don’t know what the world will look like at the end of 2021, but I do know that we will still be talking about this book. I share my thoughts on this gorgeous picture book in my video review below.
Is there anything kids love reading about more than dogs? Probably, but middle grade fiction centered around dogs is always something a bunch of kids are into. I’m excited to share a 2021 book that I think kids are going to LOVE.
Carolyn Crimi has written a lovely book about a pack of dogs getting a second chance. I talk more about the book in the video below.
The first day back from winter vacation is always hard. I love the two weeks off with my family, and I am never quite ready to head back to school. Once I get there, I get excited, but the days leading up to that first day back area always a little somber.
This year, all of my emotions are amplified. We’ve been learning 100% virtual since things went off the rails in Michigan mid-November. Around 60% of my students will be coming back to the classroom, and the other 40% will be learning virtually when we kick things off. It is hard to give my distance learners what they need when I’m in class all day. We are working on hiring a few additional teachers to help us with our virtual learners. I’m excited to work with these new teachers on creating a plan for supporting our kiddos. Hopefully, we can get that going sooner rather than later.
I’ve been wearing contacts during this school year because my glasses fog up too much when I wear a mask. Not really looking forward to putting those back in my eyes, or having to put on regular pants. Six weeks of nothing but sweatpants has been glorious.
Seeing my in-person kids is going to be great. I miss seeing them in class, and talking to them as we walk around the track during our mask breaks. My kids taught me how to plan Among Us during break. Fifth graders are going to love giving me tips on how I can up my game.
I hope I can keep my students safe. I’ll be losing a lot of sleep thinking about safety in the coming weeks.
I know this blog post is a collection of random thoughts. My guess is that most people are feeling a mixture of emotions as we face the rest of winter and the coming spring. Hang in there. Stay safe, and PLEASE take care of yourself.
I’m kicking off 2021 by giving away 6 books that I think EVERY educator should own. If you already own some of these books, please enter the giveaway, and if you win, share them with someone that you think could use them.
Wishing everyone a safe New Year!
To enter the giveaway, please click on the image below.
We will remember 2020 for a variety of reasons. Many of them are not really all that awesome. Thankfully, in a year that included a lot of darkness, we have had books that have brought many of us light. In this video, I share five books that I’m thankful for.
I’ve read more graphic novels in 2020, than I ever have in my life. Graphic novels have helped me find light in a year that has contained a lot of darkness. The five graphic novels that I talk about in this video blew my mind. I’ll be thinking about them long after the calendar turns to 2021.